Followers

Thursday 25 July 2019

Breakthrough!!

As you may know, my family and friends (you lot!!) helped raise almost £9,000 for Macmillan Cancer Care last May (2018).  This handsome sum was raised through a charity rock gig (including sale of t-shirts and an auction/raffle) and also through my amazing sister and brother in law getting married and forfeiting gifts for donations. 

From the outset I was determined that the money should come back to Causeway Hospital...... the people who initially looked after me and who a year later saved my life again when I experienced toxicity due to a medication. The team at Causeway Hospital are amazing. From A&E that I’ve had to visit a few times, through to the Rehab Ward I was housed in twice. Not to mention my hero Macmillan Nurse, Terry McVeigh. 

It’s taken a while and there has been some serious head pecking but I am delighted to now be able to tell you all that your generous donations are about to result in the renovation of a family room in the Causeway Hospital Medical Wards. It should also fund some recliner chairs for the Rehab Ward. These will allow patients’ families a comfortable place to sit or lie down and get a rest. 

Today I was taken on a visit to see the room to be renovated and was asked my opinion on colour scheme/themes. It will come as no surprise to those who know me best that I have asked the room be called “The Riverbank Room” and the theme be based around ‘The Wind in the Willows’ book by Kenneth Grahame. My favourite book includes three geographic areas -
  • The Riverbank - where everything is peaceful and the animals spend their days in boats, messing about on the river. Where “Nothing seems really to matter, that’s the charm of it.”
  • The Wild Wood - where there are some troublesome characters like stoats, squirrels and rabbits (who’re known to be “a mixed lot”). “We don’t go there very much, we river-bankers”.
  • The Wide World - “And that’s something that doesn’t matter, either to you or me. I’ve never been there, and I’m never going, nor you either, if you’ve got any sense at all.”
Naming the room The Riverbank makes total sense to me. A place of calm and relaxation. Thankfully those looking after the project in the hospital were in complete agreement. There was great excitement as they asked me to get involved with picking colour schemes and artwork. It’s going to be beautiful! Photos to follow once it’s all complete.

This is a massive achievement and I am absolutely overjoyed! We did this!! A somewhat random bunch of family, friends, rock bands, and music lovers got together and have made a difference! 

To every last one of you - the bands that gave their time and energy, the venue and those that run it, everyone who donated an auction/raffle prize, everyone who donated and/or attended the gig, my sister, brother in law and wedding guests. YOU HAVE DONE THIS! This wonderful thing that will make such a difference to patients and their families. Put a proud smile on your faces because you’ve proved there is so much good in the world.

BE PART OF SOMETHING SPECIAL
triciafest2 takes place on Saturday 7th September in the Diamond Rock Club, Ahoghill. 
  • Donate auction/raffle prizes - comment on this blog, contact me via Facebook or at tricia.roulston@btinternet.com
  • Tickets - www.wegottickets.com/event/463070
  • Belfast bus transport to&from gig- www.wegottickets.com/event/463071
  • Donate- www.justgiving.com/fundraising/triciafest2 




No comments:

Post a Comment