Followers

Sunday 18 August 2019

All sorted

The raffle debacle is all fixed. It cost hubby and I a few pounds but it was worth it to make it right. We had to scrap the old tickets and order new ones, we registered ourselves as a Society with the local Council and I spent yesterday afternoon putting tickets into envelopes for those who’ve already purchased. For every one bought they’re now getting five as we’re not allowed to sell them for more than £1 each but we’d originally priced them at £5 each. Thankfully nobody has been anything but supportive. 

It was great to get everything sorted out and we’re now getting ready to put a big push on for sale of gig tickets, t-shirts and raffle tickets. Dig deep! Every penny raised goes to Macmillan Cancer Care.

Donate at www.justgiving.com/fundraising/triciafest2 

On Friday I was at work for a few hours before heading for the Belfast train. It was an exciting yet daunting journey I was going on....... Macmillan had asked me to be filmed as part of a campaign they’re planning to run. I had to read out a thank you letter I’d written to my Macmillan nurse. No bother, I’d thought. I’ve done numerous presentations for my job, including an annual one to over 100 people. I’ve done an internal TEDTalk that was filmed. I’m not generally shy.......... 

I’d given myself loads of time. The plan was to get the train to Botanic where my son was meeting me. We then had 45 minutes to get some lunch and walk the 5 minute route to the studio. Easy. Except that I managed to miss my stop! Doh!! In my defence, the train really doesn’t stop at Botanic for long and, despite being at the doors while it was still stopped, no amount of button pressing was opening those train doors! And so I ended up getting off at City Hospital. 

No bother, I thought..... I’ll just get a taxi back to Botanic. I flagged one down and hopped in the passenger seat. “Ah you’re a superstar!”, I laughed, “I missed my stop. Can you just take me back to Botanic please?” The response wasn’t what I’d expected, “Erm, love, you’re not Gary” Do I look like flippin Gary?? “I’m not licensed to pick up customers on the street....... plus I’m booked. For Gary.” Double doh!! 

“Oops, sorry” Out I got and rang my son to tell him of my dilemma. He guided me down and we met up on the corner of the road where the filming was taking place. There was now no time for lunch so we headed straight to the studio. It worked out better as we were able to take our time over food afterwards.

It was a very hot day. By the time we got to our destination I was roasted and somewhat flustered. After hellos and a quick photo, I was taken into a small, hot studio with bright lights, and shown my ‘mark’. Then I was told to talk to the camera. Gah! This was nothing like presenting to an audience. There can be no ad-libbing or chuckles...... this is a serious letter, to be delivered seriously and exactly, while staring down a camera lense...... nerve wracking and I kept fluffing what I was saying. I suspect I could end up on the cutting room floor. But it was another experience. Another strange experience in a life that has become full of strange experiences! I’d love another go at it now that I know what to expect.....but life doesn’t work like that! Maybe it’ll be used, maybe it won’t, but it’s another thing I’ve done!



It was a big week...... busy at work, fundraising hassles, two train journeys to Belfast, filming....... by Friday night I was exhausted. Heavy, muggy weather didn’t help. Thunder headaches have been punching me in the brain much of the week :(

This morning I woke up to black clouds and heavy showers. I told hubby I wasn’t going to sea swim this week and he kindly brought me a cup of tea in bed. After a while I realised a sea swim was exactly what I needed. Hubby agreed and I texted my wee sea swimming pal who agreed she needed a dip too. 

Best. Decision. Ever!! Yes the tide was high. Yes there were big waves. Yes, it poured with rain. But there’s actually nothing nicer than sea swimming in the rain. Sure you’re soaked anyway! It’s invigorating and I don’t think there are many better ways to feel alive. The waves weren’t breaking so they just lifted us up gently. It was exhilarating and refreshing and just wonderful. The high tide was pushing us all into each other; my friend described us like rubber ducks, thrown into the sea and all bobbing about in a big group! We laughed, we shouted out, we cheered each other on..... a group of around 60 or 70 people, largely strangers, enjoying sharing a wonderful experience together. No airs or graces. We were all in it together. Glorious. 




Now I’m home, looking forward to 2 weeks off work. There’s a Foo Fighters gig, a physio appointment,  an oncology appointment....... and then a week away with hubby. Nothing but very loose plans, nice hotels and an Irish adventure ahead :) 

Living with xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment