Followers

Sunday 15 March 2020

Corona panic

Up until Friday I wasn’t really taking corona virus too seriously. Yes, it was bad, but I also know how much people love a good drama. Friday changed things a bit for me....... first I read an article about Italy and how the whole country is in lockdown. Next I travelled to Belfast for a meeting and was spoken to by my Line Manager....... there had been discussions. I’m classified as high risk. I was instructed to work at home where possible and not to travel to other locations for meetings. I realise that many people would be delighted at this.....”work” from home...... I know some who claim to do that already. They tend to never have real health issues but also never seem to do much work. The prospect of working from home doesn’t appeal much to me. I’m limited in what I can do and I thrive on being around other people. Whilst I appreciate why I’m being told to do this, it makes me feel weak. It reminded me that I’m not at peak fitness and am still a bit delicate......... something I spend a lot of time ignoring and ploughing past! 

When I came home on Friday I found that everyone I spoke to seemed to have moved from a ‘no need to panic’ position to a ‘we need to be really careful’ position...... People I respect. The ‘not prone to panic’ brigade suddenly ending sentences with ‘just in case...’ and ‘have you heard Tom Hanks has it?’!!

And so on Saturday morning hubby and I found ourselves doing what I called an apocalyptic shop! In fairness it was more of a mild panic shop..... we did buy toilet rolls and stock up the freezer and cupboard, but we didn’t stock a nuclear bunker! It went against the grain but it felt like a sensible thing to do. Just in case.....

We are constantly being advised to wash our hands. Do we not do that anyway?? Though in fairness I never realised how much I touch my face.... I have become acutely aware that I am constantly doing it! Hand washing has increased to Lady Macbeth levels....... not just after using the toilet or before/after eating, now just random scrubbing. Just in case......

The thing that has upset me most is the delay in being able to open our Relatives Room in Causeway Hospital. The money raised through our Macmillan fundraising has been used to create the Riverbank Room and I couldn’t be prouder. Our team of family and friends have created this wonderful space; a haven in the frenetic and scary hospital environment. Themed on The Wind in the Willows, the room surpasses all my expectations and I’m sad it’s going to take longer than expected to be able to officially open it. But it will be open as soon as the furniture arrives. An actual ribbon might not have been cut, but trust me we’ve worked tirelessly to ensure lots of red tape has been snipped through over the past two years. The Riverbank Room is there. If you gave anything to Triciafest or my sister’s  wedding (money, time, energy...) then you are a part of something special. I’m going to post a video on the Triciafest Facebook page so head over there to see more, but photos below.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. As everyone keeps telling me; STAY SAFE!! Much love 💕 





















No comments:

Post a Comment