Followers

Saturday 8 August 2020

Sunrise swimming

Today was a very special day. Today I had my first ever sunrise sea swim. My dear friend asked me to join her and I could think of no good reason why I shouldn’t give it a go. Not much point banging on about self healing and living life to the fullest if I’m going to let opportunities to enjoy positive experiences pass me by!

I was up at 5am. Sounds early but I used to be up at 5.15 to go to work in Belfast every week day and we get up just after 6 for work 4 days a week now, so it was no massive hardship. 

Boy was it worth it! I was collected by one of my best ever friends and her husband. We reached The Arcadia in Portrush by 05.30 and looked out across a beautiful glassy sea. The moon was high in the sky but on the horizon we could see faintly brighter sky.

My friend’s husband took off on his paddle board and the wee doll and I left our stuff on the beach and began to wade into the water. It took a while for it to get deep enough to properly submerge but when we did......... bliss!

The water was cold but not freezing. Just cold enough to be invigorating. The waves were small and far apart..... no sea slaps, just silky smooth ripples of crystal clear, calm ocean. 

As we bobbed about, slowly stretching out our limbs and feeling any previously felt aches being washed away we saw an unmistakable orange glow in the distance. Sunrise. What a sight! It climbed up slowly, and we had to turn away at times because it was so bright. We would face out to sea and feel the sun on our faces and then turn towards shore, waiting for the spots in our vision to clear so we could gaze at the picture perfect moon sitting high over the buildings.

I felt so relaxed and happy. Any worries washed away with the water. As I watched the sun rise and felt the cool water all around me with my dear friend of more years than I care to count beside me, all was right with the world.

Xx




No comments:

Post a Comment