Followers

Saturday 4 September 2021

Staying lucky

Today has been a strange day. In some ways troubling, yet in other ways joyous. I’m not really clear how I feel about it all, so I’m writing the feelings out of me because that always seems to help me process things when the rollercoaster starts to make me feel a bit dizzy.

Three times today I’ve been very clearly reminded that life is precious and short……. Through watching someone I love deteriorate before our eyes, learning of someone’s untimely death from cancer , and then being reminded of another recent death of a young man from a brain tumour. This is life, I understand that, but sometimes it’s just sad and frightening. 

On the flip side of that, I spent a very productive hour this afternoon preparing goodie bags for this year’s gig in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. It’s not far away now….. 2nd October…… and the preparations are in full flow. The t-shirts are ordered, the raffle prizes are in, tickets have gone like hot cakes; both for the gig and also now the raffle tickets are starting to steadily sell too. I don’t expect to bring in as much as we did in previous years, simply because our capacity is likely to be limited due to Covid regulations, and a lot of people are broke after being furloughed or maybe even lost their job completely. Realistically we’ll still do well and I know the charity will be grateful for it and will put it to good use to help local cancer patients and their families. Not to mention the joy of bringing together a group of like minded and decent people, to enjoy live music and help remind each other there’s still good times to be had and good things to be involved in, despite a pandemic. Coming together as a team to help a charity that does so much good for those being impacted by an illness that affects one in two people in the UK, is a momentous and humbling thing. I feel very grateful to have my name attached to it.

So very much a mixed day. I’m going to bed with a book in my hand that I very much hope will make me smile. The author is best known for writing and starring in a comedy sitcom on tv. I hope she writes a book as well as she writes a script and delivers the lines! 

As hoped, writing my feelings has helped me understand them a bit better. I’m sad that life is cruel to some people, whilst also being grateful for all the good fortune I have had and continue to have. I’m especially grateful for the love I’m surrounded by. I’m sorry for those who aren’t as lucky as me, but I’m glad our wee team can do small things that might help.

Living with xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment