Followers

Sunday 16 June 2019

Living life and dispelling rumours

It’s been a busy week, full of lots of good things but a little bit of less good.......

Both hubby and I took an extra day off work this week so we could go to the Slash gig in Ormeau Park. Thanks to a cool friend we got into the VIP tent; keeping us out of the rain and, more importantly, allowing me a seat whether I needed it........ I’m loving being back at gigs, but standing all night is still a bit much for me. We still got soaked walking to and from the gig, but it was great to enjoy time with our son and some good mates. 

We stayed up in Belfast that night and the next morning headed to the City Hospital for my routine MRI scan. I was having some scanxiety as usual..... it was particularly stressful this time as I had an appointment with Infusion Services beforehand to allow a cannula to be put into my very unhappy veins. Without this, I can’t get a fully detailed scan done as it requires the injection of special dye. At my last scan they hadn’t managed to find a vein so, despite my Oncologist being confident my ‘half scan’ still showed stability, i was keen to get a full scan this time so I’d feel more reassured. I felt under pressure..... would my veins behave? Would infusion services have to go into some rare vein like my jugular or something? Yikes! I knew it would hurt and it did. But in fairness it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be...... There were a few tears but mostly due to anxiety and the build up. And tiredness....... I told the nurse not to feel too sorry for me as part of my upset was because I was tired from being at the Slash gig the night before!! So the scan went ahead and now I have begun the long wait for the results......but I remain optimistic.

Fresh from our Belfast adventure I went back to work on Friday, before heading out again on Friday night. We were going to a gig being held fairly locally. Honestly, I was tired and couldn’t be bothered..... but I knew it was all seated in a great venue and we were taking a wonderful lady I met through sea swimming and her great-grand-niece from Australia. So off out we went.... what a great night! My 71 year old friend and I even managed a bit of dancing! 

Imagine my surprise when I came home in great form only to see a message from someone I used to work with, essentially asking if I was dead or not!.... “.....mentioned that you were dead but I thought you were still alive. Can you confirm who’s right to settle an argument???!!!!” I answered politely that I was very much alive but then stewed over it overnight. Truthfully I’m still stewing a bit 2 days later..... the person who had said I was dead is someone I don’t even know and she said it in front of someone who used to work in the office I managed so she was given a terrible fright. This wasn’t a concerned person wondering if I was ok...... this was idle gossip by someone who doesn’t know me and didn’t know what they were talking about. Followed by a tactless message which caused further annoyance. Thankfully another person with the group knows me and was able to quell the rumour. I’m still annoyed it happened but I guess it’s just a stark reminder that there are still some gossiping fools out there! 

As well as spending some time ‘chuntering’ about idiots, we also came home to a lovely updated en suite (long overdue!) and a plush new bedroom carpet. Not so good though was the packing in of our central heating...... goddamnit! As always shining stars came to the rescue as a friend came straight away and fixed it. As well as keeping me warm, this couple reminded me of all the good people around us. Somewhat counteracting the frustration caused by the gossiping fools. 

This morning brought my weekly sea swim day. One of my best mates is home from a foreign holiday so it was great to get in the sea with her...... even though she looked even more gorgeous than ever with her Italian tan! It was another invigorating and life affirming swim. Even the walk back to the car was filled with joy...... first we saw a couple who we’d given home made caramel squares to last week (there had been a ‘bring and share’ event after last week’s sea swimming)....... and then I saw something somewhat unusual. I saw a couple walking out of the driveway of a nursing home with what looked like a black and white lamb in the lady’s arms..... surely not..... it must’ve been a dog?...... As we neared them I asked hubby to look...... sure enough, it was a lamb! We stopped and spoke to the couple who told us they had taken it in for the older people to see and pet. What a wonderful idea! I’d never touched a lamb before..... it’s a bit stupid to say I was surprised by it feeling so woolly, but I was!! The lady passed in to me through my open car window and I held it for a few minutes, admiring its cuteness. Then it gave a wee bleat so I handed it back to its ‘mum’ who has been hand raising it. Happiness levels replenished!!

It remains the simple things that keep me smiling; my family, my friends, music, dancing, the sea and even a cute wee lamb......

” Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!”
Mark Twain 






No comments:

Post a Comment