Followers

Thursday 14 November 2019

Triciafest Outcomes Update

As you will be aware, our inaugural Triciafest and my sister’s wedding donations raised over £8,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support. I fought very hard to get this money back to Northern Ireland and, more specifically, to my local hospital, Causeway. 
I promised those of you generous enough to give your time, energy, support and hard earned money that I would give you tangible outcomes. It’s been a long and often stressful journey, but I wanted to update everyone on our achievements to date....... Here’s a summary;

  • The money has been given to the Northern Trust to be used to refurbish a Relatives Room in Causeway Hospital, Coleraine.
  • We have chosen a theme for the room. The Riverbank Room will be based on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, and will be a place of peace and tranquility amidst an often stressful acute hospital environment.
  • The room will provide a space where patients and their loved ones can go; whether it be to have some quiet time or have privacy to talk to each other or medical experts. 
  • There will be relevant leaflets and tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
  • We have found a wonderful, well known, local  artist who is going to paint Wind in the Willows murals on the walls of the room; further enhancing the sense of peace and tranquility. I’ve seen some of his work and he’s done up sketches that make me very excited to see the finished result. It’s going to be wonderful!
  • After much pressure being applied by both myself and an excellent member of hospital staff, we now have some movement by the Trust’s Estate Services. we hope work will begin at the start of next year.
It’s frustrating that things have moved so slowly, but the public sector never moves too fast in my experience! More importantly, we’re getting there. Today I had a meeting with the hospital lead and the estates contractor and things are moving forward. I will look forward to showing off the room when it’s finished and I hope everyone who has contributed will feel proud of what we have achieved together.

In order to make things a bit easier this year, and also because I’m conscious not all contributors live within the Causeway Hospital area, this year the money raised through triciafest2 has been given to Macmillan to be used to help provide support to cancer patients and their families throughout Northern Ireland. The intention is to do the same with next year’s money. 

Triciafest2020 is provisionally scheduled for Saturday 19th September. We are currently securing bands to play at it, and will soon start gathering up raffle prizes in earnest. If you can help, please get in touch. 

Let’s make Year 3 the best one yet! Thank you xxx

2 comments: