Followers

Saturday 26 October 2019

Supermarket happiness

Saturday morning is supermarket shop morning. Hubby always says he hates going, but I think he secretly doesn’t mind really. In fact I even think he’ll keep going with me, even when I get my driving license back and he doesn’t need to......

Unlike hubby, I generally don’t mind the Sainsbury’s run. Like most things, if you go with the right attitude then you can have fun.

“Fun at the supermarket?? How on Earth??”, I hear you cry! Well here’s two things that happened today. Two things in one trip!! And I wasn’t even trying lol

First there was a young girl dressed as a witch for Halloween. I heard her tell her dad that she was going to look at the toys and off she went. I carried on shopping and as I reached the top of the aisle I pushed my trolley around the corner....... out of the blue this little witch girl jumped out and grabbed the end of the trolley, shouting ‘GAH!!!’ A small shriek escaped my mouth. She scared me! But the fright soon turned to laughter. Hubby was also laughing heartily from across the aisle. The poor child immediately started apologising, telling me she’d been waiting to jump out on her dad and she thought it was him because we both had Comfort and 3lt of milk in the end of our trolley. 

As we went round the next aisle we heard her telling her dad that she felt really bad for scaring me. I walked back round to her, laughing and telling her not to worry, that she’d made us laugh. We all laughed together and it was great to see a kid just being a kid. I suspect she’ll get a few more laughs when she retells the story of when she scared the stranger in the supermarket. I do hope so!

Then I went to the tills. I saw a lady putting her shopping onto one of the belts. Now all us ladies know that there is a ‘knack’ to this..... a way of putting the shopping on....... an order. I’m right, right?? My husband does not agree. He’s more of a ‘chuck it all on and then throw it into the bags’ type of person. Every week he laughs at my insistence in putting toiletries and large items on first and fruit, bread and soft items on last. 

So I watched this lady and she was taking it very seriously. At one point she even pointed at items as she mentally worked out if it was all stacked correctly. As she finished and the cashier started to ring her items through I chuckled and complimented her on her ‘system’. I told her I’d always prided myself on my skill in this area but that she’d just put me to shame because she was clearly a pro!! She laughed and we shared top tips. It was made funnier by the face on the young guy behind the till, who clearly had no appreciation of the finer skills of food shopping...

Why do I spend time writing about a supermarket trip in a blog? Because it’s a reminder that happiness and laughter is catching. We could’ve plodded round the aisles, annoyed at having to go through the mundane act of shopping, but we chose to engage with others and had a much happier experience as a result.

A simple lesson but an important one :) 
Living with.... xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment