Followers

Friday 11 October 2019

More big days!

There’s been a few big days recently.......

Our gorgeous son celebrated his 21st birthday last week and we joined him and his friends to celebrate on Sunday night. 

We’re hugely proud of him. His life changed dramatically at a time when I could do little to help him. As I was lying in hospital and then going through treatment, he was busy moving to Belfast to study at Queens University. He’s held down part time jobs alongside his education since he was 15, and has grown into a clever, funny and handsome guy with a good work ethic and a caring nature. We’re proud to have him as our son and look forward to seeing what he sets his mind to achieving after he finishes university next year.

Tomorrow I celebrate one year since I took my last steroid! That is a major milestone for me. They were a necessary medication for me at a time, but I was so glad to get rid of them. A year later and my body is still shaking off the after effects...... I’m menopausal, depend on medication to sort out an under active thyroid, remain chubbier than I used to be, experience occasional anxiety issues, experience short term memory loss, sporadic muscle and joint pain, am often tired........ and don’t even start me about my stretch marks and sore feet!!  There’s also still the small issue of the brain tumour...... but it’s much less angry with me and appears to be playing nice.

I feel like I’ve aged 20 years in the last two. But I’m still here! I remain the luckiest unlucky girl in the world.  I’m happy and I’m living a fun and hopefully useful life. This weekend I will celebrate a year off those nasty steroids by taking a nice walk with my husband and dog! It’s been a while since we visited my favourite tree and I think it’s time I gave it another hug.......




Living with....xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia.
    I am so happy to see you back on track! I hope to see you again one day, have a cup of coffee and laugh about those nights when I used to wake you up for your meds. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I would love that Lucia! You are such a brilliant nurse. My orienter...... always so gentle and reassuring, making sure I didn’t get disoriented and distressed; “Hi Tricia. It’s Lucia. It’s 2am. Don’t wake up! I’m just going to do your blood pressure”
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete