Followers

Wednesday 15 January 2020

A busy day off

Today was our weekly day off work. Hubby decided to work overtime so I was home alone...... I don’t really like being home alone any more. I much prefer company. But I can’t always be with other people and I’m slowly learning to be content in my own company again. So this morning I got up only slightly later than usual. I moved slower than usual, but I was up and moving early. 

In my own good time, I went to see what was going on outside. Our dog had alerted me to someone at the door but I was in the shower at the time. A gas company were digging up the road..... I popped my towel wrapped head out of the front door and the workmen told me I should move my car out of the drive as I might get blocked in. I got dressed and dried my hair at my own pace before moving the car. No rushing for this girl. And oh what joy that I could legally move the car myself!!

When moving the car I decided to just pop round the corner for some tea and toast in the local cafe. When there I met my former Pilates teacher....... she had actually been the first person outside of family that I spoke to after I was diagnosed 3 years ago. She works for St Johns Ambulance and saw me in the hospital cafe with my son.  I had literally told him my diagnosis 15 minutes earlier. He was 18 and studying for his A-Levels but reacted with incredible maturity. From that day on he has continued to have absolute faith in me. Along with my husband, sister and close friends. Those who know me best know I won’t lie down to cancer.

So this wonderful woman walked into the hospital and became the first person I told I had a brain tumour. It was a key moment - the first time I had to say the C word to someone outside of family.  She was absolutely brilliant and it was lovely to see her today so she could see how much I’ve improved. 

I left the cafe to go and get a hair cut in Portstewart. The sea was really rough after a recent storm so when I left the hairdressers I decided to go for a stroll. I drove between Portstewart and Portrush and stopped at a viewing spot. I took a brief stroll and met a lady with her dog. We began to talk and she told me about her cancer journey....... yet another serendipitous meeting To add to the many I’ve had over the past few years. We shared some worries and we were able to empathise with each other over some of the concerns that are so hard to get past on some days. Today was a good day for me so it was nice to pass on some of the positivity to her, like so many have done for me when I’ve been having a more melancholy day. By the time we parted company we had shared laughs and exchanged phone numbers. Another fellow warrior to add to the many, many others I had met.

I came home and delightedly started putting “steroid chubby clothes” up for sale on EBay. I’ve spent a fortune on clothes the past few years. I initially lost a load of weight but then steroids blew me up. Now I’ve shrunk a bit again.......I’ve lost over 2.5 stone from my heaviest steroid weight! I’m still a bit bigger than I was, but I’m happy enough. Big sized clothes are filling my wardrobe and spilling over into my son’s  room, taking advantage of him being at university. They have to go! 

So the wardrobe is being sorted......slowly....... no rush....... I’ll get there!! Yesterday marks the two year anniversary of my phenytoin toxicity when I was given 4 days to live. Next week marks 3 years since my initial grand mal seizure. 

More importantly, next week also marks my sister’s birthday and my 23rd wedding anniversary. 

There’s always happy to be found.
#livingwith 

1 comment:

  1. You're a busy girl I see... Helping the locals with your usual kind words of wisdom but then your social calender??? I should get you a diary πŸ˜‰ or I'm free for secretarial duties if required... X

    ReplyDelete