Followers

Sunday 23 December 2018

Caledonia

“I don’t know if you can see
The changes that have come over me”
Caledonia by Dougie McClean

Last night we went out. Pat McManus is a local rock genius. He formed Mamas Boys with his brothers in Fermanagh at a very young age, and has been rocking out ever since. A hugely talented man, he’s a bit like the Eddie Van Halen of Derrylin...... except he’s better because he plays the fiddle too. There are clearly some blues influences and he smiles literally the whole time he’s on stage! 

Last night we went to see him play with his band, simply called The Pat McManus Band because nothing else needs said. He was very generous with auction prizes for Triciafest and I wanted to thank him personally. Not long after we arrived at the Diamond Rock Club, the guy who runs it and who’s a good friend, introduced me to Pat’s wife. She’s beautiful inside and out. Warm and sweet, I liked her instantly.

We started to watch and listen to the band and were loving them. Interspersed with his excellent own songs were covers of classics like Hendrix’s ‘All Along the Watchtower’ and Thin Lizzy’s ‘Don’t Believe a Word’. We were thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Imagine the wonderful surprise when he said “We’re going to play this one for Tricia.....” What?? I don’t know him, why would he want to play a song for me? Then he launched into the most beautiful and perfect song........ 

‘Caledonia’ by Dougie McClean. A Scottish anthem. What better choice for a wee Glaswegian?? Cue the tears...... How could I not?? A beautiful song made even more powerful through being given a rock twist. Loved it. I didn’t get footage of it because I was too busy enjoying it but I’m sure somebody did so I’ll keep an eye on YouTube. It’s on his new album, “Tattooed In Blue”, along with 11 other stonkers! I’m particularly loving ‘Mama Don’t Do It’.

Don’t you love it when hugely talented local people have enjoyed great success but stay true to their roots? Amazingly talented yet sweet and kind. Married to a beautiful and sweet lady. They say that Dave Grohl is the nicest man in rock. I’m sure he’s lovely but Pat McManus wins that award for me!  Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment