Followers

Thursday 9 November 2017

It’s still just news....

I know the reality is that it makes no difference really. Chemo was the older fashioned, snazzier appearing braces to back up the much more practical moved button of surgery and belt of radio. Nobody notices the button was moved. You can’t see it. Very few say “Oooo, look at that worn, brown leather belt. Look how well it holds up your trousers.” Yet there was plenty saying “Wow, look at those fancy braces! Look at how they’re holding up your trousers”, despite them already hopefully being held up by the moved button and the belt. 

The braces served little purpose, but to ensure my button didn’t pop, my belt didn’t break and my trousers fall down! They were brightly patterned and made me feel like I was making a special effort, which is why I quietly grimaced through them digging into my shoulders and the fastenings cutting into my waist. As the belt served as much of a purpose as it could, I was left with just the braces.  I knew eventually they’d be worn and faded and would have to come off. I thought I’d get longer out of them and have gained a bit more weight when the time came to take them off.. I also thought I’d have some warning.... But the reality is that the bits where they were rubbing had other ideas. The braces snapped. 

So now I have no belt and no braces...... exactly the same as the case has been for years and years. I do, however, have a moved button (surgery), a slightly elasticated (medicated) waistband and a group of people walking alongside me. Some are tailors, some will give my trousers a wee pull up every so often and some just have excellent eyesight......... regardless....... the trousers won’t instantly fall down!  

The braces were always going to have to be taken off. We’d decided they’d come off next year. As it was, they snapped, and Health and Safety removed them for fear of more damage (like being caught in a shredder heaven forbid!!) Don’t be alarmed to hear my braces have gone. Look back and realise what awful braces they were and how much discomfort they were causing. It was wise to wear them, but they’re gone now. Let’s see if these trousers stay up alone with the moved button. I never liked those old braces anyway! They constricted me so much and weren’t my colour. Come on trousers....... let’s go get on with living!  Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment