Followers

Sunday 10 December 2017

You’re in charge of Christmas....

I’ve had no energy for Christmas this year. I know that’s wrong and am trying not to be a total Grinch. I’m not depressed or refusing to leave bed, I’m just tired after a very big year, and the thought of lifting out a dirty, dusty tree didn’t hold much appeal to me. I don’t like a big fuss all round the house as it’s just more to clean around, but was always faithful about putting up the tree.  I’m sure our tree is close to the age of our marriage (20 years)............. purchased in Woolworths, all the labels have come off the branches so it’s very much a ‘hit and miss’ creation anyway!  

I half heartedly looked at a few new ones with hubby, but I really wasn’t particularly interested. I dithered a bit more. In the end up I uttered the words he needed to hear “you’re in charge of Christmas!” 

On Saturday I took myself away for yet another ‘treat night’. The treat is really only for me....... my friends just get an incredibly boring night. They’ve all said it’s lovely for them to get a night away and complete relaxation, but I fear it’s not much fun to be in bed by 7pm and asleep by 8.30pm, after a good read of course! This time I surpassed myself.......... I woke up in what I believed to be morning....... sat up, light on, followed by the genuine observation “I’m trying to work out why my phone is stuck on half two. I think it’s frozen.” I even rebooted it.  There was some noise outside the room, with someone banging on a neighbouring door with a yell of “Its room service. Your ballcock is broken!” 

Then I realised. I looked at my friend “oh god, is it half two in the morning??” She laughed and told me it was! There was no hint of annoyance. Not even when I then had to get up to go to the loo! She didn’t sigh or tut, she just accepted I hadn’t done it on purpose and saw the humour. She even gently ensured I got up to take tablets at 7am, after I hit the snooze button. I share beds with the best people!!

On return home, I discovered my husband had ‘done Christmas’. The house had been cleaned, there was a new tree up and a few other unfussy items around the house. Nothing over the top, but Christmas has arrived in our house. Now all I need to do is buy a few presents!

Unfortunately I brought a nasty cold home with me. I also have an infection in a partially erupted wisdom tooth (just not quite wise enough yet it seems). This afternoon I took to my bed for a few hours. My new bed! It arrived yesterday morning. It’s so tall I wasn’t sure if I’d need a stepladder. I couldn’t feel any pea earlier but I certainly feel like a princess! 

I even enjoyed a lovely phone call from Glasgow from  my son and his friend. What better call to receive??

I’m rotten with a cold, I’m tired, but I have wonderful friends and family, and a  no fuss Christmassy house! Next weekend I’m away again, to my Wind in the Willows Live  haven! My sister and her partner will be with us, as we get to admire the beautiful scenery and spend the quality time together that we rarely would’ve made time for prior to my diagnosis. 

I can’t wait to see the view in a different season. Hoping the ice and snow stay away, but confident we’ll be toasty warm Xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment