Followers

Saturday 27 January 2018

Absorbing.....

You know when you hear really shocking stories of mistakes, incompetence and arrogance within the Health Service? I’d always have taken them with a huge pinch of salt. 

Working in the public sector, I understand the lack of money and often unrealistic expectations of the public. I also understand how things can go wrong, often due to ‘siloed thinking’.........everyone doing their own job and no more. Sometimes I even have sympathy for this because I know the people who tend to grip situations and do the best job, are also the ones who tend to end up carrying everyone else and having more and more put on their shoulders. I understand the need for sometimes having to say ‘that’s not my job’ and for forcing others to take responsibility for their role, in order to not become the one who’s always ‘put upon’.....

I would never, however, shy away from speaking up, taking a grip of a situation, or take on others’ roles if I thought it wrong not to. I would never play games and dig heels in so far that a public service became inefficient and someone suffered as a result.  

After almost 3 weeks in my local hospital, I am finally starting to come around from the life threatening situation I was put in as a result of so-called experts. At best there was siloed thinking, at worst there was gross negligence. There was without doubt arrogance and disinterest.

I am still trying to understand exactly how things went so spectacularly wrong, looking at roles, and deciding on the best courses of action. Most importantly at the moment I’m recovering from being slowly poisoned by a drug I should never have been left on long term without proper monitoring, recovering from the horror of near death for the second time in a year (this time at the hands of those supposed to be helping me). Building strength and thinking about what comes next.

For the second time in a year, consultants at my local hospital have saved my life. By paying attention and joining things together. The added support of Macmillan means I am starting to move upwards again. Thank God for the medical professionals that remember the Hippocratic Oath. Forever grateful for them catching me yet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment