Followers

Tuesday 7 August 2018

Seeing the world in book and song

“When he had started gathering Lost Things all those years ago, he hadn’t really had a plan. He just wanted to keep them safe in case one day they could be reunited with the people who lost them.”
The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan 

I feel like I’ve started seeing the whole world in books or in song. Every new experience makes me think of a passage in a book or a song lyric. I pretty much have always seen the world like this, but it’s far more pronounced now. And I’m much more willing to say my thoughts out loud. 

Yorkshire is very much being seen in books.... predominantly The Wind in the Willows, but today we walked into an antique shop and I was suddenly in the book I’m currently reading, ‘The Keeper of Lost Things’ by Ruth Hogan. This shop even had a basket of keys that you could buy for £2 each. How wonderful is that?! Some had labels still attached. How could that not spark your imagination?



The shop was filled with other gems too. I spoke to the owner;
Me: “You’re like the Keeper of Lost Things. (He smiled but I’m not sure he got the reference). This is a very cool shop. I’ve watched Flog It. I know how this works. This egg says £6 but I’m going to offer you five. You’re going to sigh and argue a bit but eventually relent.”
I handed him a £10 note and, without a word, he smiled and gave me a £5 note back. I thanked him and went to leave. Spotting a small wooden box on the way out, I went back in.
Me: “And now I’d like this too. Again it says £6, so I’m going to give you the £5 note you just gave me back.”
Shopkeeper: “Ok. Would you like a bag?”
Me: “No, that’s fine. My husband has pockets. That’s where I found the £10, so now I’m going to put my treasures in them as a replacement. And then we’ll find out they’re worth £360 each and you’ll realise what a great eye I have and the mistake you’ve made!”
Shopkeeper: *smiles* “Enjoy the rest of your day.”



£10 well spent I think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment