Followers

Friday 28 September 2018

Walking taller

“We don’t need no education”
The Wall, Pink Floyd

I didn’t like school as a teenager. I was rebelling against a step mother and step sister, against a very middle class upbringing and against the world in general. I dressed in black, ripped jeans and turned to rock music. Anything to annoy those in authority. I was opinionated and not afraid to question. My teachers didn’t always appreciate it!  I think I can pretty safely say that none of those teachers ever said “This girl might just be a bit of a late bloomer and one day I reckon she’ll find her niche and maybe even end up receiving a medal....” 

But guess what??..... yesterday, at Hillsborough Castle, I received my British Empire Medal for Services to Policing! 



Never in my life would I ever have seen that coming (Nor would anyone else I don’t think. I know my former teachers certainly wouldn’t have!) I love my job and am passionate about it and the organisation, so it’s not difficult for me to go the extra mile on occasions. I’m certainly not alone in doing so, and it’s a real honour to be recognised for it. It’s taken me a while to stop justifying my BEM and to accept that sometimes your best is good enough, but I’ll openly admit I walked out of Hillsborough Castle yesterday carrying myself just a little bit taller. 

I have a few observations about it all -
  • It’s one for the workers! I’ve worked hard but I’m not sure I’ve done anything truly exceptional. Sometimes your best is good enough. 
  • You don’t need to be in the top tier in terms of rank or grade...... just do your best and you might make a small difference where you are.
  • I believe much of my reward is due to my ability to work in partnership..... and you don’t do that alone! There are a lot of other people who should be sharing that medal. And how amazing are those who took the time and energy to nominate me?? Good people. 
I was joined at Hillsborough by my husband, son and sister. It was all very posh and I was quite overwhelmed. In a bid to remain true to myself, I had ordered a dress with a Wind in the Willows print on it. It wasn’t expensive and there was a very real risk it could’ve arrived looking like something from a dodgy t-shirt printing shop in a seaside resort! Thankfully it didn’t. So I was able to keep things classy but still the tiniest bit quirky. Determined to enjoy the glamour of the whole thing, I even bought a hat! 

When we arrived, those receiving medals were taken to a different room from their guests. I began talking to a lady I randomly found myself standing beside. In yet another strange synchronicity it turned out that I know her son through work...... and then we noticed we both had on the same hat!! She was wonderful. In the past year she has celebrated her 80th birthday, 60th wedding anniversary, and now received a BEM. She was warm and sweet and helped keep my nerves in check. (It’s fair to say I was a little hyper...) 

I don’t really remember walking in to receive my medal. I’m pretty hazy on what I said to the Lord Lieutenant, although I do know that my son is currently her neighbour!! I’m sure it’s wonderful for her to have students living further up the street. I’ve told her if she ever sees him drunk, with a traffic cone on his head, that he’s nothing to do with me! 

What a day! The staff were lovely and went out of their way to make us all feel really special. And the medal is beautiful! I’ve no idea when I’ll ever be anywhere that will call for me to actually wear it, but just having it feels pretty amazing. Lapping it up?? Damned right I am! 

The day was finished off with a meal with friends. Great company, shared laughs, relaxing time after all the excitement of the day. Today I’m exhausted but glad to be back home and relishing a bit more time with hubby and big sis. Not to mention sorting out the washing...... a BEM doesn’t really change things too much haha!! 

The rebellious teen has turned out alright I think. At 43 years old I’ve been married for 21 years, have raised a gorgeous son who I’m very proud of, have a BSc (Hons) in Crime and Criminology, a network of the best friends a girl could ever want (many of whom date back to those early rock n roll years!), and now I’m the proud recipient of a BEM. I have a great life and am surrounded by amazing people. 

Lucky old me xxx











No comments:

Post a Comment