Followers

Sunday 24 September 2017

The girl got big...... Whole lotta Rosie

In my humble opinion, you cannot legitimately claim a tree is the fattest Sitka spruce in Ireland if it hasn't been measured in 55 years....... 6m in 1962 is all well and good, but it's 2017! That's lazy advertising for a forest that's beautiful....... and contains a beautiful tree! Kids and adults alike are drawn to it.......if you've any any appreciation of nature at all then you can't help but go over and hug it! 

That sort of curiosity isn't something I'd ever want to lose, however I'm happy to accept that time off work and a life shock have made me worry less about what others think. You might think it's a bit weird to go and measure the width a tree because you're curious?? I humbly suggest that you're taking life too seriously. Thankfully I have family and friends who aren't afraid to embrace their inner curious child...... or trees........ 

So let's not drag it out....... the fun ones amongst you are dying to know....... the ones who've kept hold of childlike curiousity because they understand the important things in life........ So for you...... 

our Sitka spruce has put on quite some weight....... she is now 7m 6. I tried to find out the average rate of growth of a Sitka spruce in NI, but ended up going round in internet circles. 1m 6 seems to me like a healthy amount over 55 years. I have named her Rosie (whole lotta...... you'll either get it or you won't!) The spruce is doing well. Strong. Resilient. Tenacious. Winning. Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment