Followers

Sunday 27 August 2017

Alternative Ulster

Last night Stiff Little Fingers played Belfast, along with a number of other punk bands. During the Troubles, Belfast was renowned for a music culture that crossed boundaries and flew in the face of the sectarianism and hatred so evident in other areas. The punk scene is known to be a big part of this, with Stiff Little Fingers right at the heart of it. If you want a real lesson in it then watch the film about Terri Hooley, Good Vibrations. Or just google it...... there's any amount of articles and books on the subject. 

My point?? SLF have a very well known song called Alternative Ulster. It's basically about changing where you live. Taking control of your own destiny. To me it wasn't written about rising up against authority as such, it was about making a difference where you could. Not getting involved with the sectarian battles, just focussing on music and the mates you've made through that. Religion and politics didn't matter, as long as you all loved music. Jake Burns may correct me.... but I don't think it's really an anti authority song. 

I grew up (and still am!) a rocker. The concept is exactly the same. I wouldn't have known the religion of half my friends growing up, despite being forced into boxes at every opportunity, most notably through what school we attended. I'm somewhat pleased to have passed this disregard for boxes on to my son. When filling out the religion section in a form, he states 'neither'. I spoke to him about it at one stage and he told me he'd never been raised one way or the other, that he'd never been christened, that we didn't go to church, and that he didn't feel more associated with Protestism or Catholicism. He is also 'Northern Irish', because there some things that make him feel Irish and some that make him feel British. There's hope for our future!!! As a funny aside (although this whole blog entry feels like a funny aside...!) I feel so strongly about the Northern Irish thing that I put it on my census form....... a source of great and never ending amusement in our house. I'm Scottish. Duh.

Flip me, Sunday morning musings........ There's a point here somewhere, honest.......

Sometimes I feel like I've been thrown into a bit of an alternative universe........ one where people I didn't expect are pogo-ing at punk shows while I'm tucked up in bed, reading Pride and Prejudice. Sometimes it can feel a little odd, and even upsetting. Last night, as my husband and son, along with so many other friends, were up seeing SLF and having a great time, I initially felt a bit sad. Lonely. Like life was going on all around me but I wasn't able to join in. 

As the evening wore on though, I remembered that I had chosen not to go to the gig. I enjoyed seeing my boys and friends have fun. That's what life's about. I looked forward to getting back out there next year. I am not bedridden. I am not so ill that I can't leave the house. I chose not to go out because I'm trying to get myself fit for Tuesday. That's not boring or weak...... that's harder than any punk band! They'd be terrified to pogo anywhere near me....... because they know I'm tough as old boots! 

The audience might've been jumping around shouting about changing their native land, but how many of them are actually doing it? All of us undergoing cancer treatment are taking control of our destinies....... as much as we can.  We're saying what's going on is not the life we choose.  We're saying "Punch me again. I can take it!" We're walking home. It's a long and arduous road, but we're walking it.

I should probably leave Sunday mornings for reading the papers........ 

Life has changed. Sometimes that feels weird and sometimes I grieve a little for my old life. Then I remember how fortunate I am, and all the wonderful things that have happened to me as a result of my illness. I might not have been jumping around to SLF last night, but this morning I got two hugs from staff members at a shop near my home. One from a girl who is soon to undergo 'a tiny bit of heart surgery' and another from a girl who had a brain tumour removed last year (thankfully benign, but I'm sure she's not a day over 23, and I'd imagine the terror is no different to what any of us feel). Two people I knew before my diagnosis, but only in very remote ways. A quick hello, maybe a comment on the weather. Now we hug and encourage each other. They tell me I look amazing, and how strong I am. Sharing positivity and offering genuine help should the other need it. Sunday morning love from people not obligated to give it. Spirit lifting.

I was also sent a video about the Japanese art of 'forest bathing'. Where you literally go into forests and drink up the health benefits. It has been scientifically proven to improve health. Shinrin-yoku. I have been practicing it without even realising and can attest to its relaxation benefits. Hopefully the physical health benefits will follow. The video was sent to me by another person it's unlikely I'd know if not for being unwell. Yet another warm spirit.Amongst the  network of lovely people I've been given access to now because my mind is open to seeing them.  I will use the opportunity to plug a charity I know she helps....... Rosie's Trust. They offer a dog walking service for cancer patients who become unable to do it themselves. A wonderful idea, as I'm sure many older patients find themselves in that position, but their dogs may be their company and hugely important to their mental wellbeing. My dog, Izz, is merely taking full advantage of having someone at home much of the time....... she has become a complete diva like her owner!! Thankfully we've no problems with the walking, but I can imagine if you lived alone and perhaps were older that it could become an issue. Rosie's Trust. A bit of an alternative charity to the usual services offered I thought, but could be equally as important to someone's wellbeing.

And finally...... maybe..... hopefully...... my point is made....... It's ok to be a bit alternative. Go hug a tree, pogo to a punk band, hug people, do something to help someone that doesn't fit into the traditional categories....... Alternative is good! Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment