Followers

Wednesday 9 August 2017

Shaking off the shackles

As someone who's been off work for 6 months and been somewhat traumatised quite a few times now, I'm doing pretty damned well! It's not a journey I'd relish walking alone, but thankfully I haven't had to. Writing has become a big 'thing' for me. Those who engage with my page long texts will know that!! In fact, those that have stuck with the blog will know it! Writing allows me to get things out. Sometimes I jump in and write before I think, but that's a lesson I'm learning. I've been guilty of a few 'fight the system' style rants........ but sure I always was!! 

At other times 'instinctive writing' can be a good thing. I have been doing a bit of more creative writing, particularly in relation to peaceful places in nature where I've found relaxation, and also my journey so far (a bit of a blog tidy I guess). I could make this a hugely long and boring story, but I'll cut it down! I wrote a short story about a beautiful place I'd been. I sent it to some friends who said they loved it and gave me amazing encouragement to share it. I felt wick, as you often do with stuff like this, but eventually plucked up the courage to send it to the lady who owns and created the place of written about. She was given strict instructions there were to be no 'sympathy likes' but I had a feeling, having met her, that she'd appreciate it. She did. She said it gave her goosebumps and asked to share it more widely. I felt wick again, but then remembered that the only thing holding me back was what other people might think or say. Then I remembered the only thing that has changed about me really is a slightly battered self esteem mixed with an ability to shake off negativity and be surrounded by positive, along with a slight "f*ck it" attitude. Not an entirely bad way to be!! Much the same as I was before, I've just to put some energy into it now, in order to keep myself well. 

Two different people 'directed' me to do this, so here goes........ definitely no piece of creative genius, but very much written from the heart. I'm more proud of the fact that I've broken off the shackles of caring too much about the negative attitudes in the world. I wrote this. It's far from amazing, but I did it and then I took the encouragement from people who care about me, and I threw it out there.  
I hope you like it. 
*takes really deep breath and hits paste* Xxx

NB. Intended to be relaxing. Do not read while driving or operating heavy machinery.....

The Garden Across the Road


The area of Connor and Kells, near Ballymena in Northern Ireland, is believed to have been the location of both an abbey and monastery, dating back to Viking times.  The monastery is said to be a deeply significant site to the Roman Catholic church and, in 1171 became the final resting place of Diarmaid, a King of Leinster. Saint Mac Nissi, reputed to have been baptised by Saint Patrick, is said to have used the area as a retreat.  Nowadays the two small villages have a population of little more than 2,000 people and are made up largely of farms and rural homes.


One of these homes holds a hidden gem.  A garden.  Not one that is landscaped or manicured.  Rather one where nature has been allowed main control, then tended to with love and creativity.  Full of wild flowers and items that have been placed there to be claimed by nature, like old bicycles and row boats.  Full of flowers and good energy.


Across the road is another garden, hence the name of this wedding venue, ‘The Garden Across the Road’.  This part is even more delightful.  Fairy houses, jam jars containing small bouquets of flowers or tealights, slates with words of wisdom such as “If you cannot look on the bright side, then I will sit with you in the dark.”  It is calm and tranquil.  The sort of place a person could sit all day, just soaking it all up.  An enchanted place.  Every corner turned reveals a new sight to be appreciated.  


There is copse of trees, with a path meandering through, leading to an open area of flattened grass.  A woodland oasis, to lie in the sun and watch clouds float by.


There is a lake, with various crossing points provided by simple wooden bridges.  A variety of places invite you to sit and watch the water; from logs to wooden benches.  There is even a papier mache sofa, painted pink……. probably by fairies.  Best of all, on the lake is a boat.  Tied to a wooden jetty, it is a simple wooden fishing boat, painted blue on the outside and white on the inside.  Exactly like Ratty’s boat in The Wind in the Willows. I am quite sure that if you sit watching it long enough a variety of characters will appear from out of the ‘Wild Wood’ and jump on board for a day ‘messing about’ on the water.


The Garden Across the Road is a special place.  A place where I would be no more surprised by a fox crossing my path than a pixie.  A place where problems disappear and inner strength is gathered and dreams are nurtured.


No comments:

Post a Comment