Followers

Saturday 26 May 2018

The big day is finally here!

Today is a BIG day!! Today my sister is getting married. Despite living in England, my selfless sister and her husband-to-be decided to have their wedding over here in Northern Ireland, purely to accommodate the fact I was so unwell. They basically gave me their wedding, even down to their wedding presents (which they decided should be donations to Macmillan). 

As I came through treatment and began to feel a bit better, I started to wedding plan..... When someone puts their whole life on hold for you for over a year, the least you can do is show a bit of gratitude! The fact that my sister is very laid back made things easy really..... I just mostly took over and did what I thought looked like fun! I hope it gives the whole family the chance to relax and enjoy themselves. To forget about brain tumours and stress. The facts are the facts...... I’m doing well, physically and emotionally. I’m still on a journey, but I am happy and genuinely enjoying life. 

As if a wedding wasn’t enough in one day...... tonight also sees our charity rock gig, Triciafest! The name, whilst somewhat cringeworthy, stems from a very old joke and just kind of stuck. Having spent years attending rock music gigs, when I was diagnosed I was approached by a friend who suggested his band play a gig in aid of the charity of my choice. I approached another friend who runs a small club and a couple of other bands. Everyone jumped in without hesitation, selflessly giving their services free. More bands stepped up and offered to play and when we ran out of space on the bill, yet more gave auction and raffle prizes.

I opened up a Just Giving account and cash started rolling in. People who couldn’t attend the gig or who just wanted to donate some money for their own reasons, wedding presents, auction money...... 

I have secured with Macmillan that all money raised stays local. It’s important to me that we can report back to people what their money has been used for. Tangible outcomes for local cancer patients and their families. With one in two people now expected to receive a cancer diagnosis in our wee country, it’s even more important that people stay positive and use their experiences to effect change. It’s not always easy, but the last 16 months have proven to me that anything is possible if you keep your head up. Surrounding yourself with the right people is a massive part of that journey.

As of this morning we have raised over £4,100 and that doesn’t include money from ticket sales and various other sources!! Completely overwhelming. I officially know the best people in the world. We are making a difference. We will not let cancer, our crumbling Health Service or ineffective politicians beat us!

Conscious I’m moving closer and closer to a Jerry Maguire moment..... I’ll sign off before I become completely overwhelmed and spend the day an emotional wreck! Let’s go get my sister married. And start having fun!!

Today’s random end quote, from the mighty Eminem....
“You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. Cos opportunity comes once in a lifetime....”

1 comment:

  1. I hope you and your family have a great day today Tricia and I'll see you later in the DRC xx

    ReplyDelete