Followers

Friday 26 May 2017

Goodness

This blog has really become a blog about people. About the good people everywhere I turn! 

One of my first texts of today showed me the sheer generosity of people I know. People are on a day off, yet still get up to make me a packed lunch and then figure out an ingenious and very amusing way of getting it to me! Then I had my ambulance/bus journey up with a great care attendant, full of humour and kindness. One of my bus buddies was just a very warm spirit, who sat beside me and was great company. A kind lady....... yet another I'm glad I met. 

Upon arrival to the City I was greeted by my friend (the one I've worked with twice in two completely different areas of business 20 years apart!) who had a bag of goodies for me from her, her sister and her dad. So thoughtful but not overly surprising from such a sweet family. I also shared a hug and a laugh with my fellow Billy Connolly fan and his wife. Yet more people who're complete joys to be around.

I had been slightly worried going up today. I have a very small bit of infection on my chin. It's something I've had before and is absolutely no big deal....... but I was worried there might be a drama.  I considered not mentioning it, but then I remembered how completely irresponsible that would be, particularly when you're around older patients and people taking chemo. Never thought I'd see the day I was begging for them to continue with radiation, but you don't come this far to be set back..... So I told them, and guess what?? No big deal. I've had it before and know what it is so it's fine to get prescription from GP. It'll be sorted by Tuesday anyway I'd say. Proof that I'd have been a fool not to mention it because it would've got worse over the long weekend. 

Only 6 more to do now....... Tuesday to Friday of next week, the first two days of which I get to spend with my sister in a lovely Belfast hotel again!  Then it's just Monday and Tuesday of the next week and that radio finished ! What happens after that remains to be seen, but I don't think about that. There might be chemo, there will definitely be a long wait for scans. I, meanwhile, will find a nice, peaceful and relaxing way to spend my weekdays. It'll be like when I came home after surgery..... I'll have to get a new routine, doing enough but not too much. Unfortunately the effects of radio can last a while after treatment ends so I'd imagine I'll get to enjoy the tiredness and waves of nausea for a while yet. But you know what? It's a very, very small price to pay. Each day will be a step up and a move forward. In some ways this feels like a very long journey..... 20th January seems like an awfully long time ago....... the irony of that statement is that 20th January could've taken my life, not taken me on a journey...... I'll choose the hobbit every time, no matter how long and difficult it might sometimes seem. The reality is that people have so much worse and are often older, without the strength and support network. So yes, I'll take the journey........ one step at a time. And I'll never forget to keep stopping and looking around me. Xxx

2 comments:

  1. https://youtu.be/7gMJBQoHJ4E

    From one Billy Connolly fan to another

    Keep 'er lit

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect! Sure you know me..... keeping er lit and between the hedges xxx

    ReplyDelete