Followers

Saturday 10 June 2017

Donegal.....

As a reward for finishing radio,hubby and I had booked a night in Donegal. At the last minute we decided to extend it to 2 nights, staying last night and tonight. 

I've never spent a huge amount of time in Donegal, but I'm learning that no matter how weird you're feeling, in Donegal there will always be someone who actually IS weirder! It's full of characters. Both locals and visitors. I'm tempted to stay...... it seems like the sort of place I'd fit in perfectly!

Yesterday I was offered a live, freshly caught lobster...... until the fella's mum apologised and said she'd just spoken to his granny and she wanted it! I'm not sure the hotel allows pets anyway.......

I spoke to an artist who was standing in a field, drawing a cottage. He was quite serious...... his art was definitely not for fun!!

Then, as we were eating dinner, I watched a bee keeper load the boot of his car up with combs from the hive and then drive off in his full beekeeper outfit. We couldn't decide if this was a great idea (he wouldn't get stung while driving) or a terrible idea (can you see through that mesh??) The former must've been true because he returned in one piece. Interestingly the artist then arrived with a small boy...... I suspect the beekeeper is the artist's dad.

This morning over breakfast we listened to a frightfully posh man describe his exploits rowing at Henley. His first sculling victory was at Coleraine in 1966 apparently...... Hubby went to the toilet, giving me a look as he left, saying "Don't". I smiled and said "When you get back, I'll be talking to them!" I sat quietly, until it became clear they were sailing to Dublin and were discussing whether to stop in Glenarm or Larne. It was my civic responsibility to jump in, telling them Larne is ferries and grey buildings, whereas Glenarm is quite pretty. They seemed genuinely appreciative of the tip! If I'd read of a boat of very posh people being ploughed down by the P&O express I'd never have forgiven myself!! 

Donegal seems to be just the place for me! As I sat giggling this morning (following the ferry conversation with the sailors), I had a chat with hubby and was worried slightly that I was starting to do things that might be considered a little odd.... We agreed I was always perfectly capable of doing the things I now do, and often did. Serious illness of any type just switches off a filter I think..... you longer care so much what people think of you. Plus I miss the human interaction from work, making me even more guilty of talking to strangers...... hubby reminded me I always did that, it's just more frequent now!

Maybe it's more a case of getting back to my old self.......!! Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment