Followers

Tuesday 14 March 2017

Bye bye stitches.....!

Stitches out today. I was not doing great..... I've had a few days of feeling a bit nauseous, have been stressed over my blood sugars (although now reassured by excellent GP and District Nurse) and was in a bit of a tizzy over getting the stitches out. Plus I was tired and Belfast is a long way when you feel a bit sick, are tired and a bit stressed out.
By the time we got there I was a mess. Lots of tears. Plus we somehow managed to mess it up! We had another appt for something else in May...... we all totally misread it and arrived in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not good when you're already in a state.
Thankfully we tracked down the nurse who was due to do it. I actually think she stayed late to sort me out. She was just incredible. Reassuring but also very capable and just got on with it. Of course it hurt a bit, but really no major drama. Especially not compared to everything that's come before. 
I nearly broke the Big Man's hand in a vice like grip, I gritted my teeth, and I let her do her thing. Like my surgeon she had that wonderful mix of confidence in her abilities with humility and kindness. Just a good person. 
Truthfully it was probably no worse than someone pulling your hair. Uncomfortable but not exactly high drama! And so worth it. Truthfully, I hadn't really looked at it before, but even I can see it's a neat job. No big ridge or mess. The nurse gave me a hug, reassured me, let me get the tears out. What a wonderful person she is. One of some I'll never forget. Born to be a nurse. 
I even got to pop in and say hello to some of my ward of Winners, although most of the faces have changed again now. 
I'm home now, exhausted, and with a headache, but proud and relieved to have got through today. Again, with the support and reassurance of others. Another small step. 
This evening will be spent relaxing, before a good night's sleep (achievable now thanks to the reassurance, better understanding and better control regarding blood sugars).
Continuing to take as much control as I can, whilst listening to medical experts. Supported by so many. 


No comments:

Post a Comment